Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Crichton's Jurassic World
Some of you might have noticed a certain book cover floating around the Internet. This book cover:

[Image: CxnqbdmWIAEXrah.jpg:large]

I don't know about anyone else, but, when I first saw it, I rolled my eyes. What a shameless cash-in on Jurassic World's success, eh? Well...

I own that Barnes & Noble collectible edition of Jurassic Park and The Lost World. It's a genuinely beautiful book, and not one I'm willing to risk damaging, so I thought I'd grab another copy of the books as a spare, one that could be read everywhere and anywhere. Enter Michael Crichton's Jurassic World. I took to Amazon and ordered myself a copy.

Said copy arrived this morning — and packed quite the surprise. As it turns out, Michael Crichton's Jurassic World was published in September 1997.

[Image: CxnqtV-WQAAzkq4.jpg:large]

The book's title is nothing but pure coincidence — it has nothing to do with Jurassic World

Some of you might already have known this, and, if so, I apologise for having gotten so excited, but I thought it was incredible, and worth sharing in case anyone hadn't heard of it. Needless to say, I'll have to pick up another copy of the books — not only is this one cool because of the aforementioned coincidence, but it's a First Edition, too!

All those years of speculation... we had our title for Jurassic Park 4 in 1997. We just didn't know it.
@JHNMCHLTNR | The JHN behind @thejhnfiles. Patiently waiting for Jurassic Park to become a reality.
The Barnes & Noble edition is beautiful, but has horribly thin pages. Is this edition a little sturdier? Is it a hardcover or paperback?
(11-19-2016, 01:47 PM)Neelis Wrote: The Barnes & Noble edition is beautiful, but has horribly thin pages. Is this edition a little sturdier? Is its a hardcover or paperback?

Hardcover. There's not much difference in page thickness, unfortunately — the only really significant difference (other than the cover, of course) is that this version's pages have a deckle edge, which I'm quite fond of, myself.
@JHNMCHLTNR | The JHN behind @thejhnfiles. Patiently waiting for Jurassic Park to become a reality.
I remember this book freaking everybody out, but for some reason I just always remember it being a re-publication of the two novels together. So funny how the title was used for JP4. Good background research, and now you have a nice copy of the two novels together!
(11-19-2016, 06:18 PM)Jack Wrote: I remember this book freaking everybody out, but for some reason I just always remember it being a re-publication of the two novels together. So funny how the title was used for JP4. Good background research, and now you have a nice copy of the two novels together!

I legitimately had no idea it existed until a few weeks ago. Sort of glad I wasn't around for the original freak-out — I don't think I'd have survived the crushing disappointment of momentarily thinking there was a new Jurassic from Crichton. Ticket to the alternate reality in which he's still with us, please! I'd love to hear his thoughts on the direction things have gone.
I've always thought that he must have written something... even just some notes about where his next Jurassic novel would have gone.
Even if he hadn't died I doubt he would've ever written another Jurassic Park book, I mean he had nearly two decades to get to it if he really wanted. But did he ever write some notes or ideas on where he thought Spielberg or the studios could take the franchise as some rough drafts for premises? I think that's something more possible and that could be uncovered years from today as it is eventually found in all the stuff he left.