Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kong: Skull Island
Nice review. I saw it in IMAX 3D a few days ago, and loved the experience. It's not a great movie, but it's shot beautifully, the VFX is top and some of the characters are great. It weirdly felt like it didn't have a third act and was all setup. The build up to the island is wonderful but once they're there, it just resorts to running. Needed a better conclusion, and I hope there's some form of extended cut on the Blu-Ray.

Either way I'd still recommend it, it was worth the ticket price!
(03-15-2017, 03:14 PM)Jack Wrote: Nice review. I saw it in IMAX 3D a few days ago, and loved the experience. It's not a great movie, but it's shot beautifully, the VFX is top and some of the characters are great. It weirdly felt like it didn't have a third act and was all setup. The build up to the island is wonderful but once they're there, it just resorts to running. Needed a better conclusion, and I hope there's some form of extended cut on the Blu-Ray.

Either way I'd still recommend it, it was worth the ticket price!

Cheers! Yes, the conclusion isn't very satisfying (they even imply Kong is up for another round against the approaching helicopters), but then it just ends. 

Though the scenes at the start of the credits were giving closure for one character. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sef7tb09DE4

Would sharing this song be considered a "Kong: Skull Island" spoiler? I feel this was my absolute favorite moment in the film, Weaver (Brie Larson) taking photographs of members of the Iwi tribe; paired with the first few seconds of this song, it seemed idyllic, showing Weaver bonding with the tribe and exhibiting not just curiosity but pure joy for being there.
Shame it doesn't last a little longer; however, the break with the frightened, bloodthirsty, "must sacrifice the golden woman!" tribe depiction is a breath of fresh air in this film, and it succeeds displaying this in those few moments we get to see the village and its inhabitants.
I have yet to see the film, but I really want to. I'm hoping to see it this week. I definitely will see at one point in the theaters. If I don't, I would literally never forgive myself. I am super hyped to see it. I've heard some of the criticism, but I'm not worried. The last film I was so hyped to see was Suicide Squad, which despite the hate, me and my two best friends had a BLAST seeing, one of the best cinematic experiences of my life. I still really enjoy the film, though it's not perfect. The good stuff is still really good. Anyway, I've made predictions on where the new Kong movie will rank on my favorite Kong movies. I think it'll either be #3 or #2. My current list...

8. The Mighty Kong (3/10)
7. King Kong Lives (3/10)
6. King Kong Vs Godzilla (5/10)
5. King Kong Escapes (5/10)
4. Son of Kong (6/10)
3. 1976 King Kong (7/10)
2. 2005 King Kong (8/10)
1. 1933 King Kong (10/10)
(03-15-2017, 08:50 PM)Neelis Wrote: Would sharing this song be considered a "Kong: Skull Island" spoiler? I feel this was my absolute favorite moment in the film, Weaver (Brie Larson) taking photographs of members of the Iwi tribe; paired with the first few seconds of this song, it seemed idyllic, showing Weaver bonding with the tribe and exhibiting not just curiosity but pure joy for being there.
Shame it doesn't last a little longer; however, the break with the frightened, bloodthirsty, "must sacrifice the golden woman!" tribe depiction is a breath of fresh air in this film, and it succeeds displaying this in those few moments we get to see the village and its inhabitants.

Agreed - great scene!

(03-15-2017, 10:01 PM)RichardLevine Wrote: I have yet to see the film, but I really want to. I'm hoping to see it this week. I definitely will see at one point in the theaters. If I don't, I would literally never forgive myself. I am super hyped to see it. I've heard some of the criticism, but I'm not worried. The last film I was so hyped to see was Suicide Squad, which despite the hate, me and my two best friends had a BLAST seeing, one of the best cinematic experiences of my life. I still really enjoy the film, though it's not perfect. The good stuff is still really good. Anyway, I've made predictions on where the new Kong movie will rank on my favorite Kong movies. I think it'll either be #3 or #2. My current list...

8. The Mighty Kong (3/10)
7. King Kong Lives (3/10)
6. King Kong Vs Godzilla (5/10)
5. King Kong Escapes (5/10)
4. Son of Kong (6/10)
3.  1976 King Kong (7/10)
2. 2005 King Kong (8/10)
1. 1933 King Kong (10/10)

Definitely go see it! Can't fault it for how fun it is, that's for sure. Worth paying to see in IMAX!
I'm going to see the movie tomorrow with a friend. Can't wait!
It was a fun movie. Felt more like an old Godzilla movie than a Kong movie but I guess that makes since due to this Kong and Godzilla exist in the same franchise.
I just saw it with my friend. It was awesome! I loved it and it was lots of fun. Definitely met my expectations and was worth the hype.

8/10
There are some interesting things I noticed in the movie. Without spoiling the movie, here are a few references I picked up on...

-The wrecked ship in the Iwi village was called the Wanderer, which I believe is a reference to the novelization of the 1933 King Kong, where the Venture is renamed the Wanderer.
-The US Senator John Goodman's character goes to at the beginning of the movie is named Willis. I noticed in the end credits that the Senator's secretary's last name is O'Brien. Willis O'Brien. The name of the man who did the stop motion for the 1933 King Kong.
-The film's novelization talks about how many ships and planes have vanished around Skull Island, including a movie crew in 1933...

Fan theory: Carl Denham, Jack Driscoll, and Ann Darrow do exist in the world of Kong: Skull Island. Denham came in a possession of a map to Skull Island, charted the steamer the Wanderer, and went there to make a movie, but never came back. The Wanderer was wrecked on the island about a decade before John C. Reilly's character was stranded there, which was 1944, so the Wanderer could have been grounded in 1933. So the events of the original King Kong did take place, but Kong was never taken off the island and the movie's characters likely died horrible deaths.

Also...

http://movieweb.com/kong-skull-island-ma...-c-reilly/

Please tell me that I'm not the only one who wants a spin-off about John C. Reilly's character and his time on Skull Island.
(03-26-2017, 01:47 AM)RichardLevine Wrote: Please tell me that I'm not the only one who wants a spin-off about John C. Reilly's character and his time on Skull Island.

That would be cool!
My new top 10 King Kong movies after seeing Skull Island...

10. King Kong Vs Godzilla
9. King Kong Escapes
8. Mighty Peking Man
7. Son of Kong
6. 1976 King Kong
5. 2005 King Kong
4. 1998 Mighty Joe Young
3. Kong Skull Island
2. 1949 Mighty Joe Young
1. 1933 King Kong

I'm including the Mighty Joe Young movies because they're often grouped with the Kong films and the original has the same creative team from the original King, as well as one of the actors playing a similar role. Mighty Peking Man is included because it was "inspired" by the release of the 1976 King remake.