Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
T Rex Spinosaurus rematch in JW2 petition noted by Colin Trevorrow
Again, I really respect your opinion and your desire for this, but seriously, not everyone in the world needs to agree with your opinion.
(06-06-2016, 01:14 PM)JurassicParkPodcast Wrote: Here's a very similar point for you... Blue is established as a "good" raptor in JW, but every other Raptor in the first three films is established as a vicious enemy. Does this discredit Blue's "goodness" or discredit the prior Raptors "vicious killer instincts"? No. They are all separate entities that need to be viewed on their own merits. Just because one Rex was killed, doesn't discredit the other Rex's we've seen. Having it come back and fight another Spino will not make JP3 go away.

I feel like this is incredibly on-point. The Spino, another large dinosaur, ended up killing a Rex in a fight. I don't see anything particularly sacrilegious about this. It was absolutely there for a pretty narrow reason (establishing the Spino as a greater threat in the film) but when two predators engage in battle, the outcome isn't always predicated.
(06-06-2016, 10:28 PM)jobalexang Wrote: Again, I really respect your opinion and your desire for this, but seriously, not everyone in the world needs to agree with your opinion.

I am not in any way saying that everyone has to agree with our cause. Everyone is free to feel otherwise.

But if my points on why many fans want this are being challenged. I will defend and explain the why we feel the way we feel.

(06-07-2016, 12:01 AM)brandonh83 Wrote:
(06-06-2016, 01:14 PM)JurassicParkPodcast Wrote: Here's a very similar point for you... Blue is established as a "good" raptor in JW, but every other Raptor in the first three films is established as a vicious enemy. Does this discredit Blue's "goodness" or discredit the prior Raptors "vicious killer instincts"? No. They are all separate entities that need to be viewed on their own merits. Just because one Rex was killed, doesn't discredit the other Rex's we've seen. Having it come back and fight another Spino will not make JP3 go away.

I feel like this is incredibly on-point. The Spino, another large dinosaur, ended up killing a Rex in a fight. I don't see anything particularly sacrilegious about this. It was absolutely there for a pretty narrow reason (establishing the Spino as a greater threat in the film) but when two predators engage in battle, the outcome isn't always predicated.

The sacrilege is due to a few reasons I have already explained.

The first 2 films established the T Rex species as the icon of the series, the top dog, the greatest predator that ever lived. So millions grew up with the T Rex as this icon of their childhood. One of their most nostalgic memories of their childhood is the glorious T Rex.

Then all of the sudden JP3 establishes that the T Rex species was never really great at all and that any T Rex can in fact be brutally killed by any Spino.

Many fans did not like that. And many fans still don´t like that the series has not prooven otherwise. Just because a T Rex triple teamed with a Raptor and Mosasaurus to take down a Hybrid. Does not in any way proove that in the Jurassic Park series T Rexes can defeat Spinosauruses one on one.

And again let me repeat myself and be very clear, we are not trying to imply that the T Rex is a superpowered god either. But we hate the fact that the series now established that this fish eating dinosaur can crush it like nothing.

And again let me be very clear. I am not in any way trying to forcé anyone to support our cause. But I am asking for you guys to at least try to comprehend even if it´s just a Little, why so many fans feel the way we feel.
When I first saw Jurassic Park III I felt disappointed the Tyrannosaurus was on screen for such a short time, and it was killed to make room for the Spinosaurus.

Over the years I've come to appreciate the Spinosaurus more - and the filmmakers' intentions. They did something unfathomable, killing a darling in favor of something new.

Jurassic Park III has quite a few flaws, but it deserves points for the bravery displayed when the Spinosaurus took the throne.

A rematch might have worked at the end of Jurassic Park III - another Tyrannosaurus slaying the Spinosaurus. But for a rematch to happen almost twenty years later? There doesn't really seem to be a point, other than to please a dedicated, but ultimately, small group of fans. Truth is, these films are not just made for us; they are made for film audiences all over the world, and most in those audiences will feel rather ambiguous about the "Spinosaurus vs. Tyrannosaurus" debate.
(06-07-2016, 05:18 PM)Neelis Wrote: When I first saw Jurassic Park III I felt disappointed the Tyrannosaurus was on screen for such a short time, and it was killed to make room for the Spinosaurus.

Over the years I've come to appreciate the Spinosaurus more - and the filmmakers' intentions. They did something unfathomable, killing a darling in favor of something new.

Jurassic Park III has quite a few flaws, but it deserves points for the bravery displayed when the Spinosaurus took the throne.

A rematch might have worked at the end of Jurassic Park III - another Tyrannosaurus slaying the Spinosaurus. But for a rematch to happen almost twenty years later? There doesn't really seem to be a point, other than to please a dedicated, but ultimately, small group of fans. Truth is, these films are not just made for us; they are made for film audiences all over the world, and most in those audiences will feel rather ambiguous about the "Spinosaurus vs. Tyrannosaurus" debate.

Agreed entirely - and for now I think this discussion can stop here. It does just seem to be going in a big circle.
(06-07-2016, 05:18 PM)Neelis Wrote: When I first saw Jurassic Park III I felt disappointed the Tyrannosaurus was on screen for such a short time, and it was killed to make room for the Spinosaurus.

I have plenty of Friends who are casual JP fans. Those who see the movies every 5 or 6 years and are not really that into the series. And they are all in unanimous agreement that there should be a rematch. Trust me I know plenty of people like that, all are casual fans from the general audience and they at the very least think the series should have a rematch.

Of course I am not saying everyone in the general audience is like that. Yes there are plenty of general moviegoers who are indifferent to the issue. But it is definetly not something that just a ´´small group of hardocre fans want´´.

Again I ask, think about it. Would a 2 minute long rematch really hurt the movie that much? Would it really ruin everyithing? The movie can still have plenty of new stuff, characters and plot in the remaining 1 hour and 58 minutes.
The Tyrannosaurs dominated The Lost World: Jurassic Park, and the animal was the star of Jurassic Park. I doubt they can do anything new or surprising with the animal that would justify a new fight - leave alone making the Tyrannosaurus the film's main attraction again.

I'm not opposed( I'm the one ambiguous), I just think it won't happen because those in charge might not see the need for it.
I really don't want this! It would be a waste of time and feel like pandering.
(06-07-2016, 07:42 PM)Neelis Wrote: The Tyrannosaurs dominated The Lost World: Jurassic Park, and the animal was the star of Jurassic Park. I doubt they can do anything new or surprising with the animal that would justify a new fight - leave alone making the Tyrannosaurus the film's main attraction again.

I'm not opposed( I'm the one ambiguous), I just think it won't happen because those in charge might not see the need for it.

We are not asking for the T Rex to once again be the main star. Because you are right, the T Rex already was the clear main star in both JP and TLW, the species dominated both films with more screentime than any other dino.

What we are asking is for the canon of the series to show a 2 minute scene of clear proof that an adult Rex can take down an adult Spino by itself, so that the Spino species do not look clearly superior and so that we can take that spine out of our hearts.

I honestly do not even mind if they make the Spino the star of the sequel again. Really, I honestly don´t care if the Spino is in the movie 40 minutes and the Rex 2 minutes. If there is the rematch and the Rex comes out on top. If the T Rex just shows up 2 minutes and does that and does not show up anywhere in the rest of the film we will be pleased.

But you are right again, even though Colin noted our petition, and he included that nod in Jurassic World... We know that he is somewhat aware of the huge backlash of the JP3 fight, but we don´t know how Bayona, Dereck Connelly, and Spielberg feel about it. We have tweeted our pettition to most of them but we don´t know if they have read the why so many fans need the rematch.

(06-07-2016, 08:55 PM)Nedry Wrote: I really don't want this! It would be a waste of time and feel like pandering.

To be fair Jurassic World had plenty of fan pandering or fan service and most audiences reacted well to them

Return to nublar? Opened park? Return to the visitors center for nostalgia? The old goggles? Using old jeeps?  Rex smashing Spino skeleton? to name a few...

This is the decade of nostalgia.

By the way I again want to thank everyone for being so respectful with our cause even if you disagree with it. This thread is proof that this topic can be discussed in a mature way without it getting out of hand.
I'm afraid a rematch with the T.rex victorious would upset the Spino fans who think only the Spino deserves to win. It only going to cause more debates. It's just not worth it. Your passion for this is admirable Rex Revenge but maybe you should try to let it go if it doesn't happen.